Thursday, May 31, 2007

Bliss

I've been thinking about the items that I've been making and showing you on my blog. . . it truly is my bliss to create. And I must tell you how encouraging it is for me personally to show you what I've made and receive the sweetest comments from you all. Everyone has their one "thing" that they can do, that they're truly good at . . . that they enjoy.


Don't get me wrong, I love being an antique store owner. The friendships that I've made with Cindy, my business partner, and so many of the wonderful customers, are invaluable to me. Making things look pretty so when a customer sees it they are taken to another time or place, that's such a great feeling.


But I have to admit, creating something from a stack of papers and found objects or a piece of vintage fabric, has always been wonderful to me.


I want to share with you one of my most favorite books of all time. My favorites are not fiction, though. They are decorating or how-to books and boy, do I have a ton of them! This book is by the creators of Victoria Magazine: The Business of Bliss ~ How to Profit from Doing What You Love.




The women featured in this book are so very inspirational. The businesses they've created are truly amazing. I love to thumb through it and see all the successful women and read about them. They all are so very different but are following their own personal bliss.


You may not be able to devote yourself full-time to your bliss but you must try to make time for what truly makes you happy. This happiness will reflect in you and bubble over to everyone that surrounds you. Time is fleeting and we look up and another month has passed by us. So my thought for you today is to carve out time in your day to follow your bliss . . .

15 comments:

Wendy said...

Hi Dawn,
I'm glad I found your blog, what inspiration! You are so very right about your BLISS post....the things we crave to do the most tend to be put aside until another time.

Anonymous said...

bonjour Dawn,
I discovery your blog and your shop to day, they are beautiful...
I have a in my provençal garden a rose-bush who as the georgous name "New Dawn"...
sorry for mu bad english
domie (Saint-Ange)

Cindy said...

I have that book too. I love it. I love the one about...I think her name is Kevin? I know she has a boy's name. I don't have my book here to check. She makes beautiful dresses. She's on the top right of the cover. I'm going to have to look at that book tonight. Thanks for reminding me what a great book that is.

Lena said...

This, and another of the Victoria books about women and their shops are on my home library shelves too. I was just thinking the other day that I should read them again. They are keepers!
I've been enjoying your blog for a couple of weeks now, and decided I'd better stop and really say hello and thank you for all that you share here. You have a real gift for making lovely things and for display. I've loved my visits to your other site too.
There is a theme all around Blogville today, about making time to take time. Nicol Sayre and I as well as a few others have talked about it today too.

Sam I Am said...

hmm.. will have to check out this book!
and.. gotta tell ya that i love your birds :) :) :)
they are adorable..and i want to lick them! lol

Deb said...

Hi Dawn
I also have "The Business of Bliss" and I love it too! Such an inspirational book with wonderful stories & pictures.

Sam I Am said...

dawn...thank you for your comment..and for your vote of confidence :)
When june is over.. i say we all get together and have a Mojito.. or 6!! :)
hugs..sandy

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

Hello! I came across your blog from Beachy's blog. I just love everything you create and I love your pretty art in your etsy shop!

Heather

Lori said...

i always wanted to get this book...stopped at your etsy today and everything looks wonderful, i have some birds in the making also...just bought some paperclay that i have been playing around with...

Suzanne said...

Hi Dawn~
I had to follow and find the person who had that "sweet little portrait of a girl" avatar! Whew! I'm so glad I did.
What an inspirational book. I wish I could work full-time on my Bliss too...maybe someday, but what I manage to accomplish is very rewarding.

Your little birds are so sweet...I love their coloring and the nest of folded sheet music is precious. Thanks for sharing your bliss!

Suzanne

Cape Cod Washashore said...

I could always use a little more bliss! I know that you know firsthand, what it is like to try to carve out a little time for bliss with four young children around! They are my bliss, of course, but I was an artist before I married, and I still am, and I appreciate every little second of creative time I can squeeze in. Ironic how that lovely book is pubished by the "Victoria" magazine people! =)

Jen Kershner said...

That's one of my favorite books too. I'm so glad you found your bliss.

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Dawn,

I just looked at my copy of this book yesterday! It is one of the funnest, and most inspiring books ever, IMHO.

Everything Victoria has done is timeless, isn't it? Hopefully it will be that way again.

xoLidy

makemeamemory said...

I've been watching your blog for awhile now and thought it was time to say "hi". Your post about "bilss" is right on the mark and for the last few months my "bliss" has been put on hold and I'm miserable but I know it will come back around soon.
Love the sweet little birdies! And Martha's glitter.

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Dawn: Love that book and actually just about every book that was published by Victoria. Cindy of Rom. Homes mentioned Kevin Simon--she has the neatest looking shop and very different clothes. I have her marked on my favorites.


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...