Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Fragments of Nature ~


I've been busy in the studio!
Thank goodness...
I think the worst is over with the pollen around here ~
It's so good to finally feel a little better
and get something accomplished.

I know you've seen this botanical here before...I just love it!
Scroll down to the bottom of my blog
to see how to save it at its largest.




Another clipping from an old Victoria ~ love, love, love!






I thought I'd share with you my bits of progress with
the new nature assemblage.
I placed little ledges inside the opening on the back of the canvas ~
See them on each side?
These will allow me a sliver of a shadow box space...


I slathered matte gel medium all over the place and using the original pages
from a great old bird book, began the process of covering the entire back.



Wrinkles? Yeah! Who cares...I love them :) They add character, right?



I added a piece of stained tissue paper over the very center to dilute the text a bit.



And that wasn't enough.
I lightly dyed some scrim, ripped it to size and it will now
be the foundation for my fragments of nature ~



I'll probably stitch the scrim on...that's the beauty of working with canvases,
I can use strong thread and sew right through the back.
I haven't done it yet though ~
And to show you where I'm headed with this piece,
I positioned a few found nature elements here and there over the scrim,
and placed the glass over top.....
each item will be carefully secured.




Next I plan on taping the glass in with wide copper foiling tape
and then soldering over it to seal the glass down and the treasures inside!
I have some wonderful stain to age the solder too....
We'll see how these last few steps go ~


So that's the anatomy of what's on my work table this week ~
I just love working with these small treasures....
and seeing a new idea come to life!

Wishing you a wonderful Tuesday precious friends,
hugs and love,
Dawn







13 comments:

Linens Lace and Lattes said...

I agree with you about wrinkles adding character...atleast that is what I tell myself when I look in the mirror these days. Love the nature assemblage.
deb
linens lace and lattes

Vee said...

Love the wrinkles and the tissue paper idea. The scrim or cheesecloth adds just the right touch. Thank you for being so generous to show how you'll accomplish this piece. It's already lovely.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love seeing that page from the old Victoria magazine, Dawn. It's funny that this type of decorating is popular today still. It reminds me of the series of egg prints I have hanging, and I have nests and eggs all over the place, too.

Maureen said...

What a wonderful piece this will be (well, already is!) As an oil painter, I would NEVER have thought to turn the canvas over and use it backwards! Doh! Great idea.

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

How beautiful Dawn!! Oh my goodness what a cool idea to use the back of a canvas! I am glad that your allergies are easing up :)

Dorthe said...

So lovely elements sweet Dawn- and I love the scrim you added to the back of the canvas, looks beautiful, and "quiet" with the nature elements on top.Your soldering ideA, will be fantastic- I would never have thought of soldering such a big thing- you amazes me and inspires me dear friend- I`m so eager to see your result.
Hugs and love, Dorthe

Lynn said...

What a lovely idea of using the back of the canvass. Last week, hubby and I took a serendipitous overnight trip to Cedar Key, a "city" of about 700 on an island on the Nature Coast of FL. It is known for "fantastic oysters", and a nature and artist paradise. I am posting picture on my blog this week. Words seem to destroy the lovely communion, peace, tranquility found on that beautiful island, therefore picture alone, few words. Looking at your lovely project, even before it is finished gives me the same lovely feeling of peace, tranquility. Stunning tranquility in each small object you lovingly place there. Blessings.

Charlene said...

Oh girl you're singing to the chior!!!! My allergies have about killed me!!!! I spent 5 days outside every day. And have not recovered yet. Saw Lisa a week ago & had a coke with her. Made me think of our time at Paper Cowgirls. Miss you
Charlene

Createology said...

Your assemblage in the process is amazing. It is important to see all the layers you do in order to reach the finished piece of art. Thank you for sharing Miss Dawn. Creative Bliss...

Tina said...

That´s a wonderful piece Dawn - love the natures elements. Such a great idea.
have a wonderful day sweet friend
xo

imsteelefullofscrap said...

You think of the most beautiful displays I can imagine your home how beautiful it is

Lisa said...

Dawn,
This is going to be beautiful & such a cool idea!
I just want to tell you how much your blog means to me. Every morning for the last 5 years I know with the click of a mouse I can escape to a lovely place if even for just a moment. No drama, no politics, no begging for followers, beauty, inspiration & encouragement.
Just want you to know we notice & we care. I'm guilty of not always leaving a comment but I'm here!
Lisa

Cindy said...

This artwork is beautiful! I have been following you for a while and I am always inspired by you!


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...