Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thoughts on Christmas and a special birthday!!!

I love this beautiful old image ~
for you....



And you don't think I'm going to forget to wish
Donny Osmond a happy birthday today,
do you???
I was so in love with him back in the day that I memorized his birthday
and now every year on Dec. 9th...he always comes to my mind!!
You're not getting older Donny, just better!!!



When I went to the grocery store yesterday,
they had bundles of fresh cut evergreens and
Christmas tree cuttings! I  just had to get a bundle....
I arranged them on the mantle to give it a simple
Christmas touch...the few ornaments finished
off the trimmings ~


This time of year we all put so much pressure on ourselves, don't we?
We want everything to be just PERFECT...
Perfectly chosen gifts,
perfect decorations,
a beautiful home to welcome our families,
the best tasting food we can make....
There's so much we can demand of ourselves
that we become absolutely exhausted
with Christmas and everything about it.



So, if you don't have time to make your own ornaments...it's no big deal!



If you have to bag your gifts rather than wrap each and every one,
do it! You can slip the gifts in the bags really quickly ~



I think as I've gotten older I've finally realized to back away from
trying to do so much this time of year ~

Why make myself irritable, rushed and completely nuts...
It's so much better to enjoy being with your family,
and enjoy this wonderful season of love ~




Be gentle on yourself,
and if it doesn't get done ~
it simply doesn't get done!!


~ My advent calendar from a few years ago ~

The days are really flying by!!!
Enjoy each and every one precious friends ~

Have a very happy Thursday!
hugs and love,
Dawn

14 comments:

Dorthe said...

Sweet dear Dawn.
Yes so true, but also so difficult, I have so many things, and so many gifts, I want to do-that time runs off-and till now there have not been much time for relaxing--
Do you know that I am totally taken by your calender, and have been since you first showed it... it is the most beautifull thing ,for a christmas decoration, sweetie.
And today your mantelpiece looks like real christmas in the most wonderfull way, with he grenery,and ornaments.
Sending you much love and hugs, Dorthe

Vicki said...

Your mantel and advent calendar are just gorgeous! Such great advice. If I had the time, I would go completely over the top decorating but honestly I don't. Kids are busy, work is busy then there is the shopping and baking. I try to focus on the traditions and sentimental favorites first. Anything else I have time for is a bonus and a sweet surprise. I take pics of my decorating for next year and pack away the pics with the decorations to make things go faster the next year. I'm so happy you'll be spending your first Christmas in your new home this year! Enjoy!

The French Bear said...

Beautiful!!!! Love your decorations!!!
Awww Donny...he is the best!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder. I needed to hear your encouragement today.

trash talk said...

"And they called it puppy love"...what do they know about true love!
Simple for me is simply the best.
Debbie

vikki said...

~♥HELLO SWEETIE..LOVE. YOUR POST! WAS JUST TALKING ABOUT THAT YESTERDAY WHEN I WENT TO KALONA TO TWEAK THE BOOTH & TAKE SOME JOURNALS TO SISTERS' GARDEN... OUR FAMILY & HEALTH ARE VERY IMPORTANT! DO WHAT YOU CAN & TRY TO PACE YOURSELF..LISTEN TO ME! =) NEED TO FOLLOW OWN ADVICE! ..AFTER ALL WE DO NOT HAVE A STAFF TO DO WHAT WE WANT..OR TO GIT DONE ~ BUT AMAZINGLY IT USUALLY GITS DONE DOESN'T IT? EVERYTHING LOOKS WONDERFUL! YOUR MANTLE & LOVE.YOUR ADVENT CALENDAR! SOO LOVELY! THANX FOR THE IMAGES & YOUR VISIT TO ME...APPRECIATE YOU, MY LIL EARTH ANGEL! LOVEYA WITH HUGS & BLESSINGS, VIKKI XOXOX

Sweet Old Vintage said...

Oh my gosh Dawn... I remember the Donny post... Gee for me it was Bobby Vinton time...The Christmas is quite lovely... I am off to clean my cozy little home and stay warm inside. It is 8 degrees here this A.M. and all white and frosty...

Leanne said...

love that Advent calendar!

Unknown said...

I was smitten with Donny Osmond too, lol {and Rick Springfield?}. I love your muslin ornaments and inspirational words! Merry Christmas ~ Heidi

Myrna said...

OH! Granddaughters are the BEST part of Christmas, dont'cha think? Clara is just darling!! We get to have 1 yr old Lindy here~old enough to react to all the festive lights, but too young to understand yet..it will come soon enough! That image of the little girl is precious~makes me think of Lindy with (maybe) curly hair and our dog Winston next to her. I collect Cavelier pictures and this will be printed out, framed, and added to my collection! Thank you!
Sigh. Happy Birthday to Donny! He HAS gotten better!!
Thanks for sharing your beautiful mantle~the added greens and baubles makes it perfect!!
Hugs!
Myrn

Barbara Jean said...

Dawn,
Love that top picture and would be perfect for those paper sachets.

You are so right about Christmas. My list of things to do gets shorter every year, and I enjoy Christmas more every year, too.

Thanks for the visit. Always love seeing you have been by.

blessings and have a great day.

barbara jean

Lululiz said...

Aaah, the Osmonds, I remember those days very well, lol. We have Jimmy Osmond in town as from this weekend, he is in the Cinderella pantomime! Can't imagine Christmas without pantomimes in just about every town.

I love the simple treatment of your mantlepiece, it looks really charming and natural. And I am so with you on the 'less stress' front! We don't go overboard, never have done, and our Christmases have always been relaxed, full of fun with lots of laughter, just family and a couple of good friends. Wonderful.

Carol @ A Bird in Hand said...

Hi Dawn....While I am LOVING all the pictures (especially your lovely advent calendar), the Donnie Osmond pics and birthday wishes are just the best!!! I believe I had that poster in my bedroom growing up. How great!!! You are just too cute, girl!!!

Deb said...

oh I loved Donnie Osmond also....love your decorations...I always start out with grand plans for the holiday...then I scale them back to reality....


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...