Monday, December 27, 2010

Need something for your walls?? Make your own art!


I've been gathering some wonderful treasures....
trying to decide how I want to display
these gorgeous pieces of nature ~
Well, as I was cleaning and getting ready
for our Christmas eve party with my family,
I decided to re-use this padded frame that I'd made awhile ago.



I had it hanging in my studio at the old house with ephemera pinned
and clipped to it but hadn't decided
how I wanted to use it here at the farmhouse.


When I visited Lisa in Texas, my goal was to find some wonderful things
to create a type of Cabinet of Curiosities display for our living room.
I found the beautiful turtle shell in Debbie's booth at Winnie & Tulula's....
We found the skull and horns at a yard sale!!!


The magnifying glass is a souvenir from when I owned The Plum Tree,
the little fish net is another antiquing find....
I added a bird feather, strips of tree bark from our last house.


A gorgeous acorn from the burr oak tree,
a sweet gum ball from our last home and a
wasp's nest given to me from one of the boys....


This, my dear friends, is a true assemblage!!!
A gathering of treasures you love displayed together ~

The only other element that I would love to add?
Gorgeous aged Latin name labels to each item!

OH! And how did I attach these goodies to the padded board backing?
Which is a washed canvas drop cloth fragment over polyester batting
and crudely taped to the back of the Masonite board....
I simply sewed each element on!!!
I'm in love with button and carpet thread,
it's much stronger than regular thread ~

Thank you SO VERY MUCH for your precious birthday wishes,
you inspire me so and absolutely made my day!!!!!

Wishing you a wonderful Monday dear friends ~
you truly are loved,
Dawn

25 comments:

Angela said...

It looks just perfect with your other things!!

The Charm House said...

Wonderful as always.... There is nothing like creating a piece that tells YOUR story. I would much rather have that on my wall than a painting that I know nothing about.
Hugs,
Yvette

Beth Leintz said...

I love the whole cabinent of curiosities idea with found objects from nature. You get a differnt perspective on a turtle shell or wasp nest when you bring it inside.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Great idea, Dawn! I love the items you've collected and displayed all together. I have a frame that I broke the glass and I'd really like to use it in some way. Did you just use batting for the padding?

Createology said...

This is such a wonderful way to honor nature and also enjoy a very creative unique piece of art in your home. Happy week ahead...

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Dear Dawn:
I want to wish you Happy Birthday (again), my friend. Your assemblage is so much fun. Thanks for sharing.

Holiday Blessings,
xoxo
Donna

Hive for the Home said...

Love....Love.....Love!!! ;)

Carol Anne's Boutique said...

Wow Dawn...this is fabulous! You created such a beautiful and unique assemblage! I Love It!
Hugs,
Carol Anne

The Rustic Victorian said...

Way Kewl and so fullfilling for you to achieve a look you sing to. Happy Birthday Miz Dawn.
A Big Southern Birthday Hug Comin your way!
Love
Marcie

Lisa said...

That is just the CoOlEsT!!
I love it!
I do agree about the labels, they'd look amaazing too. CB would be proud!
I'm so glad I got to wish you happy birthday. I hope you get to get out & play a little today.
Lisa

time worn interiors said...

Fabulous assemblage! Funny when I'n in Texas I'm always picking stuff up off the ground, things we don't have here in Kentucky! There is some kind of little mossy things I pick up, they almost look like bird nest, not sure what they are called!

Happy belated birthday! I had to work yesterday, to tired to blog!

Theresa
aka:tot

Deb said...

I love your treasures.....great way to display them...

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Happy Birthday sweet Dawn!

I see your creative mind is in full gear already! Of course, most of us never stop with the ideas running through our heads.

I love this idea and all the little treasures you have added. Wonderful.

hugs
Sissie

Theresa said...

What a lovely creation! ONLY you could make those items into a gorgeous framed piece of art! Have a blessed day my friend! HUGS!

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

Just a fabulous assemblage, Dawn. Love it. It particularly speaks to me as a someone who studied biology for many, many years.

Anonymous said...

While I love gathering these types f natural elements it does not look as natural and beautiful when I put them all together. Some people have the right eye and touch.
You are blessed.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely FABULOUS, Dawn!!!! No one will ever have anything else like it!! What a fantastic way to display found treasures from trips, walks, etc.!
Hugs,
Diane

Shelley Davis said...

Oh Dawn it looks wonderful. But I have to say that It would gag me to have to hold that skull or the turtle shell. With that said, I changed diapers for my 8 children and cleaned up after them. I am not sure why this is so much different.
Happy New Year!
Shelley

Elizabeth said...

I would love it if you would show us how to do this. I have a beautiful old frame that i would love to use...So, this is foam board with material over it?? Muslim? I'd love to do this.

Thank you for the inspiration!

At Home in English Valley said...

Dear Dawn, Well, here's another of your great ideas that I will just have to borrow. Happy Birthday dear Dawn, you have a gift for making everyday special for your readers and friends. God bless you with health and happiness! Love, Penny

Romeo said...

Eeeeekkkkk! How wonderful is this?!!!!! My whiskers are sticking straight up! This is fabulous and love love love the theme of curiosities!

Double Eeeeeekkkkk! I missed your purrday? Oh sad day indeed! Is it okay to say Happy belated Purrday? I hope it was grand!

Purrs!

Romeo

Peridots Garden Blog said...

Dearest Dawn!

Okay now this is right up my alley...got most everything...except the turtle shell...now that's going to be the tricky part...

Love your vision!

Happy Belated Birthday!

XO

Sandy

LADY JANE said...

Dear Dawn...I have been wanting to do something in a padded frame with some old sewing items...thank you for the carpet thread hint! Like alot of treasures we have they would be even more treasured and WOW what a conversation piece! Thanls for sharing...now I just need the inspiration and time to get back to my blog!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome and perfect for your new home! You are just too creative, Girl!

Happy New Year.
QueenMarcy

Joy Lett said...

Dawn- It turned out great and everyone loves it. It is beautiful.


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...