Sunday, January 18, 2009

A peek inside reveals nature's treasures ~


One of the many benefits of having a blog are the wonderful people that you meet along the way. And most of those who enjoy your blog have similar tastes as well. Usually I assume that my vistors are women ~ but that's just not so!


I received an email from Gary yesterday and he included a photograph of his nest collection that he has displayed on an old store display in the shape of a tree!! I thought it was beautiful ~ just take a look.....


Well, I just had to ask him if it was fine for me to show you this amazing display! He agreed and sent me more photos of his beautiful home and of his collections.....what inspiration!
He collects antique globes and hand drawn antique maps and just look at the old books on the mantle!




This clock piece is so gorgeous to me ~


Gary believes in animal rights and has two dogs and a cat that he has rescued. He hates how birds were destroyed during the Victorian period for their feathers to decorate hats and for taxidermy, yet it did happen. Bird dioramas bothered him years ago when he first ran across them but now feels that he is saving them and giving them a place of respect.
He has created the diorama below inside of a built-in china cabinet in his home ~


Another display ~



Just look at this very old Victorian piece ~ it is over 5 feet tall!


I love the scientific look of his displays....







And this last photograph is an antique aquarium ~ it's just beautiful.....
Thank you so very much Gary for letting me share your home and collections with everyone!



Sharon mentioned on my nest post that it was against the law to retrieve nests for decorating purposes. This is probably very true so if you are going to gather a nest, please make sure that it is truly abandoned and in your own yard. She makes her own nests for display and all of the nests in my artwork are from the craft store. I buy them to serve as a foundation and add straw, fibers and feathers to give them a more natural look.

I hope you enjoyed the peek inside Gary's home and his wonderful collections ~

Wishing you a peaceful, relaxing Sunday dear friends,
xxoo, Dawn

23 comments:

Tami said...

I so love Gary's house, it is gorgeous!!! He so needs to have a blog if already does not. Love the bird nests, I have a couple that came from my parents yard once the Robins went south for the winter my dad saved them for me or if they fall out of the tree for some reason.

Anonymous said...

Tout simplement superbe Dawn !
Je rêve de me "construire" pas à pas un petit cabinet de curiosités ...

Barbara Jean said...

Dawn, He has a real gift for display doesn't he?
Lovely photos.

Have a great Sunday.

Barbara Jean

tam said...

Oh Dawn what a fun post! Gary's home and collection were a real treat to see-thank you to both of you! Hope you are having an awesome weekend!~Smiles~Tam!

Sheila Rumney said...

Thank you for sharing Gary's home with us. What a gorgeous place!

Vee said...

Gary has a beautiful home! The first photo is exquisite...just marvelous. Thanks to Gary for contacting you and thanks also for allowing you to share.

lorhen82 said...

I just love Gary's clock! He has some very interesting things in his house. Thanks for sharing! ~Lori

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. Thank you Gary, thank you Dawn.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dawn and everyone. There's not a better place to show your nests than at The Feathered Nest!

It is against the law where I live to take a nest during the nesting season as some birds use it more than once during a season. I live on one acre with over forty trees surrounded on all sides by woods. I keep five bird feeders filled, four bird baths watered and approximately ten bird houses available. I let a huge dead tree remain in my yard as many birds have drilled holes in it for nesting and shelter. I also feed a flock of wild turkeys. Living here for over twenty years, I have only removed any nests in the middle of winter which is legal. Also if possible all bird houses should have nesting materials removed and be washed after the season to prevent diseases for the next occupants. I consider each nest a spectacular piece of original art.

Thanks again,
Gary

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the photos of this very talented man's home! Beautiful! :)

Unknown said...

Dawn, Gary has such a tender heart. Thank yu Gary, I just love and appreciate how respectfull you have displayed your finds. Bless you. And thank you Dawn for showcasing Gary's work. He is a treasure as well.
Beth'

Gretchen said...

I so enjoy your talent and the blog you share with everyone. I have an award for you that I feel you are most deserving of. I love how you've so graciously have shared wonderful clipart sites with your followers and have added some of yours to my blog as well. You are an inspiration. Thanks for your beauty through Nature that you supply to us blog readers.

http://mimitoriasdesigns.blogspot.com/

Deb said...

Thank you for sharing photos of Gary's beautiful home. I love the bird nest display!

Anonymous said...

Oh I can only add my appriciation for this post Dawn,,and Gary..just magic. I ditto everything already said.
oox
Marcie

Vintage Inspired Jewelry said...

Beautiful displays. Thank you so much for sharing them Dawn.

ajunkqueen said...

I went to the internet, unless it is a migratory bird, or protected birds, like the Great Horned Owl and birds of prey, it is not unlawful, to remove the nests, I also spoke with the local birding club here and they told me the same thing, the birds do not use them again. I would never remove a nest that was being used by a bird family.
Renee Jackson

BitsAndPieces said...

Dawn, I think your blog is one of the very best! You are always sharing something wonderful. Gary's photos and displays were a real treat, too. Thank you both.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a wonderful collection ~ displayed so beautifully! Thanks for sharing!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hi Dawn...love this post! Gary has some amazing collections. Love the way he has creatively displayed his nest collection. I have a small collection of around 5-6 nests, too...all abandoned in my yard. I love the amazing engineering that goes into them.
:-) Thought you might enjoy seeing a tablescape I posted on my blog where I had a bit of bird theme going on and I used some of the little nests I've collected. http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/2008/09/welcome-to-tablescape-tuesday_09.html I keep my little collection on a hutch on my screened-in porch...there just little works of art, aren't they?
Enjoyed visiting your blog...your art is wonderful! Susan

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Gary's home is just gorgeous!!! I love his amazing displays, and like how he can show his lovely collections without his home looking at all cluttered! And the "nest" tree -- oh my goodness!! :)

Tanya said...

I just love Gary's home. The nests are near and dear to my heart. We have a little flock of chickens (5) and they make their own nests in their shelter out of the straw and leaves that we supply them with. It's so adorable and it's true that each bird has a unique way of making their nesting place.

Monica said...

Superb arrangements! Love especially the nest tree... what a cute idea! I found some nests in my own garden, now they are on the mantel, but what a clever idea to protect them from 'hands'!!
Thanks for sharing such a peculiar and creative home,
Monica xo.

Tina Leavy said...

what awesome collections and a beautiful home.


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...