Friday, January 23, 2009

And what have I been up to?

I started working on a sweet banner to use for the baby shower!! I bought these big ol' letters at Hobby Lobby and ended up buying two sets because I was using too many duplicate letters (and still ended up making another A out of a V and a piece of another letter!)



It may end up being too much but I wanted to pick and choose what words to have hanging and I also wanted to include Clara's name so Emily could keep it for the her room, too.






First, I painted all of the edges white as I didn't want to see the gray cardboard color ~ then I went ahead an painted the fronts too....I figured it would make the scrapbooking paper look prettier.





I placed them each in an old cardboard box and sprayed with Elmer's spray glue (w-mart) and pressed sticky face down to the back of the scrapbooking paper ~






Trimmed each letter with a very sharp Exacto blade and then used an old emery board to smooth out any rough spots ~







OK, now what do I do?!! I want to make some pennants now to stick the letters to. (And they already have an adhesive back, you just have to peel and stick!)








I ended up getting rid of all of my cake decorating supplies awhile ago but did find a neat kit just for cupcakes that I'm going to use. I love those Michael's coupons!!



I am in love with these hanging pom poms below!! The instructions are HERE and I want to make some!! Don't you think they'd look precious at the baby shower in pastels?





I've been worried that the images that I'm giving you are not scanned correctly and that the resolution is not good at all ~ I'm checking into it to try to improve the quality that I'm offering you for your art!

Oh, and what can you do with these images? Use them on the front of a handmade cards, in collages and assemblages, to make tags, in journals, you could even frame them! Any other ideas?? Your printer is a great tool to use in your artwork ~

Wishing you a wonderful Friday sweet friends,

xxoo, Dawn





21 comments:

tam said...

Oh Dawn those letters are absolutely darling!!! What agreat idea! That baby shower is going to be spectacular!
It is fun sharing in your excitement -and all of your creative work too! What a lucky grand baby to have you for a Grammy! have a fantastic Friday!~Smiles~Tam!

PEA said...

Oh Dawn,
Just darling indeed. I am sure the shower will be stunning. The pom pom are so neat. I may have to make those.
Have a good one my friend.
Blessings,Pea

The Painted Nest said...

Dawn, Your banner will be so sweet!!! And I love the pom-pom's!! My grandaughter's 1st birthday is Feb.5th, I think I'll make some of your pom-pom's for her party. Thank-you so much for sharing your ideas. Blessings Always, Deborah

Lori said...

Dawn, i cannot believe this!!! i was trying to make some of those pom poms last night...i was using crepe paper, don't bother it's too thick...i need to buy some tissue paper the color i want...your banner looks adorable!!!

The Rustic Victorian said...

Perfect for the shower! How are you going to hang them? With wide ribbon? OR.... I have some ideas, call me today. I like the poms,(wouldnt open for me),there are birthdays coming up too, what a lucky little girl to have a Grandma like you to make her days so special.

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Dawn ~
The words are so sweet !
Girl, I dont' know how you do everything you do ~ do you ever sleep :)
xoxo,
Lori

Anonymous said...

Dawn, what a wonderful memento for Clara to keep! Will you hang it in her room after the shower?

Gramma's having fun! ;-)

Diane

Anonymous said...

PS: Dawn...you asked about other ideas for the prints you are sharing...
you can put them on a color copier, reduce and clone them and use them as seals on envelopes. I often do this with images of my own art - reduce them to postage stamp size and glue them to my envelopes up near the return address space and/or on the back closure. A nice touch!

The tiny little print-outs can be used in scrapbooking too....or on the top of a notepad....lots of uses for wee little images!

:-)
Diane

Lola Enchanted said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!! Thanks for those instructions~I love those too!!!!

Vee said...

That's beautiful and you shared some fine techniques with us, too. This is going to be one fantastic baby shower. I can just see you and Clara creating together one day... It'll be sooner than you think!

Phyllis said...

Hey Dawn,

I know you're having a ball making things for this shower and can't wait to see the "finished product".

btw - which Somerset mag will have that beautiful art quilt of yours? I don't want to miss it.

Shopgirl said...

You are having just to much fun....I love it! When my Granddaughter Kayla was a little girl she spent a lot of time with me...I was the babysitter/Grandma.
We did all kinds of crafts together. She loved hearts and pink so we had a wonderful time. She wanted to do everthing with me and it was the best...I miss that little girl. Now she is 18 and busy with other things, but she will always have what she learned.
Love, Mary

Barbara Jean said...

Dawn,
Those letters are just adorable!!
It will be so fun to see all the hsower pictures with it all put together.

I thought the pics you've been giving us were fine, but i'm new at this.
I have started a file, and also have some things in the works already.

Blessings on your day.

Barbara Jean

PS I'm almost done with my bird nest Tutorial. I had no clue how much work and time it takes to do those. Hope when it is posted you can give me some pointers if i do it again.

My Vintage Studio said...

Hi Dawn, You ARE just having TOO much fun! lol
Hope you have a great weekend!
Cheers, Sharon

Creations from my heart said...

I can't wait to see the finished banner. I know it will be wonderful. I saved the info on the pom poms. My boys are still to young, but someday I woll be plannning a shower!Blessings...Sherry

AB71 said...

Dawn, This is my first post to your blog, though I've been following since I saw you in the Artful Blogger by Somerset.

I love the decorations! The letters came out gorgeous. I just have to add that in my job I have access to tons of tissue paper and I'm looking forward to making the pom poms for the next party I host.

Your comment about the images, I saved the bee image and opened it in Photoshop. It is 92 dpi and the size is 14 x 16.5 inches (approx.) I don'tt hink that's too small at all. You could try scanning at a higher dpi, but then the file will be larger too.

Just wanted to thank you for all the sharing you do!
Angie B
Kentucky

Aleta said...

I'm so envious of your pastel color baby shower goodies. My daughter is having a co-ed baby shower and doesn't want all the pastel prettiness. Boohoo.

I love the giant flower petal thingies above the table that you show. I think I could probably get away with some of those in bright colors.

Thank you for all the sharing of ideas and pictures that you do. It's always a joy to peek in to see what you're up to. Bless you!

Warmest bear hugs, Aleta

Elizabeth said...

Dawn, I relly like this project. It's really turning out well.

I am sending you a little shipment, with the baby in mind. If you can use it - GREAT!

Hoping you are doing well, sweet friend.

God bless,
Elizabeth

Cindy said...

I've just bought a flat wood heart that I want to cover with scrapbook paper so I really appreciate your tutorial! The emory board trick sounds great! It all looks adorable!

Anonymous said...

This is going to be one special shower! All the details you are using, including the letters you just made are lovely! TFS your life, sweet friend!

Unknown said...

That is going to be the most darling banner EVER! What a beautiful baby shower that will be! :)


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...