Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Free Angel Wing Ornament Tutorial!


I'm a little hung up on angel wings....
I don't know why,
but I just am!

I played a little bit in the studio and took a few photos along the way ~
I absolutely LOVE that this ornament can be molded into
the form that you love because of the wire framework inside!!!

My gift to you:
Step by step instructions!
Here is my sweet finished product,
one glittered, and very shape-able angel wing ornament!





You need some very thin wire, I used 22 gauge and loved it.

Wire cutters and maybe some pliers to make those pointy ends
do what they're supposed to!

You need some cotton batting, scraps will be fine!

A bottle of Fabri-tac glue...my very, very FAV of all time!!!!

Liquid Gesso...I found mine on clearance but really, you don't need much,
even white paint will do!

Martha Stewart's Ultra Fine Crystal Glitter or what ever glitter you have ~

A Crop-a-dile and grommet OR hole punch

Seam binding for a hanger



My pattern below should fill an 8 1/2" x 11" page
on your printer so size accordingly.
Cut all pattern pieces from your cotton batting.

Using the thin wire, form a pattern of your entire wing,
but 1/4" inside the cut edge (you'll see the dotted edge on the pattern)
of the batting....this will allow for you to glue over the wire.



Run a bead of Fabri-tac close to the edge of the batting
and fold over the wire ~




Completely enclose the wire all around the wing ~



Make sure you have the other two pieces of batting
to glue on top of the wing form.



Place a line of Fabri-tac all around the other "feather" sections of batting.




Your angel wing should now look like this!
Trim down any of the overlaying sections if they need it....



Next, pull out a piece of waxed paper and lay it down.
Load up your paint brush with liquid gesso and begin
covering your angel wing.




I even went under the layered sections with the gesso!




Next, I pulled out my wonderful crystal fine glitter from Martha Stewart!!
I have it in a different bottle but had to show you both ~




While the gesso or paint is wet I PILED it on....
remember, the excess will be on the waxed paper
and can be placed back in the bottle!



I even rubbed the edges in the glitter!
Be sure to coat the back of the wing with glitter as well....




Next, let dry under a warm lamp....it should help it dry quickly.

Then I used my Crop-a-dile tool to punch a hole in the top and
inserted a white grommet and used the tool again to set it.

If you don't have this, no worries!
Just use a hole punch ~





Here is my little angel wing...just waiting for a length of seam binding
so it can be hung from the Christmas tree!!!!




Here is the pattern I drew....
click the image a few times
so it will enlarge ~
I scanned in an 8 1/2" x 11" page!




The most wonderful thing about this sweet ornament
is that it has wire along it's edges ~
You can sculpt it to the shape you want....
wouldn't a pair of these be beautiful on a wrapped gift???





A few more things I just have to share with you today....
Happy Birthday to my precious mama!!!!
and Happy Halloween from
my sweet grandbaby Clara,
isn't she absolutely adorable???!!!!






I am linking up with Becky's Blissful Whites Wednesdays
with this post!!!!





hugs and love,
Dawn



23 comments:

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

The angel wing is adorable, and so is Clara. Happy B-Day to your mom.

Elderberry Dreams said...

Angel wings and Clara.......both are beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Love how you glittered the wings up!! You can NEVER use enough GLITTER as far as I'm concerned!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. I love your work and although good at crafting I can't always work out the EXACT techniques of how you put things together. This tutorial is wonderful and I'm going to have a go. LOL

Shane Pollard said...

Thank you so much dear Dawn for this Angel wing tutorial - you are such a generous spirited soul.

Your darling Clara is so sweet - did you paint her face!

Thinking of you all in the States - even here in New Zealand it is on every news report.
I pray to God that there are no more lives lost.
Take care
Shane ♥

suziqu's thread works said...

What a fantastic gift to us all Dawn - you are so generous the way you share all of these things with us!
I know the time and effort you have put in here!
Angels and angel wings are an all year round favourite.
This is so appreciated!
And little Clara looks like a treat herself!
Hugs to you,
Suzy x

Cotton Peony said...

Now wasn't that sweet of you.

thank you so much for sharing this craft. I love it.


warm hugs,
cotton peony

Vee said...

The cutest cat I ever saw! Oh, Dawn, thank you for the angel wings tutorial. You are too generous!

ByLightOfMoon said...

Thanks Dawn,

This is very easy to follow from scrap batting too! You are an amazing teacher!

Clara will get many treats she is soo cute in her costume!
Smiles, Cyndi

Sandi said...

SO precious Dawn! I love it! I am hung up on angel wings this year also! I have made paper wings and fabric wings...will have to try these also.
Clara is a doll!!!!
Blessings~

Unknown said...

the angel wings are lovely! i will definitely try making some. tfs! and your clara is so sweet! ;)

Lisa said...

Morning Sweetie,
Goodness gracious, look what I woke up to! Love them Dawn. I had to pin them to my tutorial board even tho I'm sure 100 people beat me to it. Your such a generous soul, always thinking of us & sharing your ideas.
Lisa

Cindy said...

So ver pretty! I love it. Thank you for sharing this with us.

xo
c

Dorthe said...

Precios Dawn,
Thankyou again ,for this beautiful tutorial, your wing is so lovely and I can see it is a MUST do, before christmas . I love your idea with the wire inserted, and the gesso making them a bit stiff.
You are a gem- and so is sweet Clara, she will bring a big smile on everyones lips today, when asking for treats :-)
Hugs and love, Dorthe

Cathy said...

Hi Dawn, like you, I'm a goner for angel wings! I LOVE you tutorial and plan to make lots. Thanks! This rather reminds me of your mittens from 2-3 years ago (which I made lots of, too!). You are so creative! Wings seem to be really popular this year, and the lace ones are just flying (pun intended!) out of my shop!

On a more serious note, Happy Birthday to your mom. Today, Oct 31, is the 6th anniversary of my Mom's passing. Her birthday was November 4, so this time of year I spend an extra lot of time thinking about her.

Clara is adorable! Hugs to you all!
Cathy

marda said...

This is wonderful Dawn. I was just wondering if I could somehow downsize your wing from your tutorial and you've done it for me.. and better than I could have come up with. Thank you so much.
Clara looks soooo cute. Thanks for sharing her with us. Happy Halloween.

Createology said...

Clara is the cutest kitty yet. Your angel wings are heavenly and thank you for generously sharing your how-to. Blessings Dear...

Tora´s Vintage Dream said...

Hello Dawn, I have to say that I find Clara the cutest ever :) she is so adorable. Also thank you so much for this angel wing tutorials it´s awesome and I hope I´ll make a pair one day.
have a good day
hugs
Tora

auntiejenni said...

i'm going to make great use of this! thank you for such a generous kindness!

Unknown said...

Thank you again for your generosity, but I will have to say you are wearing me out! I barely get one project finished before you create another one. Seriously, I always look forward to seeing what you are doing and appreciate your kindness so much.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your angel wing tutorial and your granddaughter is beautiful!

"Create Beauty" said...

Lovely! The wings AND the sweet little one : )

~ Violet

Blue Creek Home said...

Thanks for the tutorial - these are lovely.
I just finished a pair of big ruffled wings very similar to some I saw here - FYI - you inspire me every time I pop over to visit you!!!
Your little Clara is a cutie and a late happy birthday to your mom.
Thanks for all you offer here.
Rhonda

Pat C. said...

It was so generous of you to share your angel wings tutorial with us, Dawn! Thank you very much.: )

Clara is too adorable in her kitty costume!♥ ♫ Happy Belated Birthday ♫ to your mom!

xoxo


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...