Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Yummy Sour Cream Pound Cake!!!




I had to share an old post with one of my most favorite recipes!!!
Give it a try sweet friends, I promise...
you will NOT be sorry!!!




Here is my tried and true recipe and believe me, you will have requests to make it again!
The secret is that the egg whites are whipped until they are fluffy
and then folded in at the end!

Oh, and don't worry, you will not taste the buttermilk or sour cream
after it is baked they just add delicious moisture.




Sour Cream ~ Buttermilk Pound Cake


1 cup of sweet cream butter
3 cups of sugar
6 eggs, separated
1 tsp. real vanilla
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups plain flour
1/2 cup of buttermilk
1/2 cup of sour cream


Preheat oven to 325 degrees and coat tube pan thickly with shortening and dust with flour.


Cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg yolks and vanilla. In a separate bowl add flour, soda and salt. Stir until well blended. Put aside. In another small bowl add sour cream and buttermilk. Stir these until well blended.


Start your mixer back up and add 1/3 of the flour mixture, then 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture, then 1/3 of the flour mixture, then the other 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture and lastly add the remaining 1/3 of the flour. For some reason you have to add these in this order for it to turn out correctly.


I then clean my beaters with soap and water so no butter remains on them and in a smaller bowl beat the egg whites until they are fluffy and pretty stiff.


At this point, fold the egg whites into the cake batter but not too roughly so as not to remove the fluff.


Pour into tube pan, gently drop bottom of pan onto counter to remove any air bubbles and then slide into your preheated oven.


My recipe says to bake for one hour but I start checking it at 45 min. Ovens cook so differently. Let cool about 15 min, and turn out onto cake plate. Another secret of mine with the wedding cakes was that I would turn out the layer onto saran wrap and wrap immediately in it then I would wrap it with heavy duty aluminum foil, place on a pizza pan and place it in the freezer. All the moisture goes back into the cake and the texture is wonderful.


I hope you give this recipe a try...it is WONDERFUL!!


Wishing you a beautiful Wednesday dear friends!
hugs and love,
Dawn







7 comments:

Becky P. said...

Thank you for this recipe, Dawn! I love to bake, and bundt cakes are my favorites! This sounds yummy and i can't wait to try it! Hugs!!! Beck

Theresa said...

I sure would like to have a piece of that cake with my morning coffee:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Lisa said...

Hey Sweets,
Yum!! I want to marinate some strawberries in basalmic vinegar and put on top of that warm cake. I should make this tonight for my Step Mommy.
Lisa

Curtains in My Tree said...

I love home made pound cakes

I think that is same recipe Paula Deen has in one of her cook books that I use

sometimes I add strawberry's and sometimes sprinkle powdered sugar on top , i have iced it but pound cakes are so just plain good without anything but a cup of coffee

At Home in English Valley said...

Hi Dawn, I'll keep this in mind for when I get in the baking mood. Thank you for sharing. Love, Penny

The Painted Nest said...

Hey Dawn,
Can I put this cake in a loaf pan? And just adjust the cooking time? This sounds wonderful! I love pound cake!
Blessings,
Deb

Becky P. said...

Dawn, thank you for giving me the link back to this recipe! Your cake looked wonderful on FB! I have to make this:)) I know it will be a huge hit tomorrow, but no slappin' allowed! That made me LOL!!! xoxo Becky


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...