Thursday, June 20, 2013

Playing with dyes and mists!



I'm sometimes a bit of a chicken when it comes to trying new things...
but I've really been wanting to experiment with altering
some of the neutral seam binding that I have!




My first little attempt was to add about five or more drops of distress ink
"brushed corduroy" brown
to some water in mister bottle and see if it would create the mottled effect that I love.
I started with the shade "egg shell" seam binding and squirted it thoroughly.

Well, it mostly just tinted it a pale brown...






Next, I pulled out some Glimmer Mist in the shade of "Cork"
and spritzed in onto the dried seam binding...
THAT was what I was looking for!
That old, dirty look!










And I've been reading about boiling avocado peelings and pits to dye as well!
I only had one but boiled the peeling and pit for about thirty minutes....
It really wasn't this golden looking, I think it was the lighting in our kitchen.





I let the seam binding soak for about thirty minutes and
just look at the soft pink, fleshy shade it turned the seam binding!

I need to buy about five or six to achieve deeper tones...
the original egg shell shade of seam binding is in back.



I added a little gauze to see how it would tint...



And even a chunk of canvas ~ it turned such a soft shade of pink!



I need to be brave and experiment more with dyeing. This was so much fun!!!

Wishing you a beautiful Thursday dear friends,
hugs and love,
Dawn




12 comments:

Doni said...

Dawn you are going to be unstoppable when you really see what you can do with just an avocado! I used one and boiled for a long time, testing my fibers about every half hour, then finally turned if off and let the last pieces soak for a real long time. I got several shades of awesome pinks! I love the darkest stained tea or coffee dyes too, but have not yet achieved the deep dark edges I want. You make me want to try it again!
Oh, and if you happen to freeze your leftover dye batch like I did, be sure and label it. Hubby might thaw out that pink dye thinking it is fruit juice! Mine did! But I caught him in time!!!
Thanks for always sharing what you're doing. It's so much fun to your lovely creations!
Blessings,
Doni

Cathy said...

I use distress stains on my neutral seam binding and it works like a charm!

Lana Manis said...

The ribbons look beautiful, Dawn! You can create an entire collection of hand-dyed ribbons!

Vee said...

You're like a mad chemist! I never would have dreamed that the avocado would turn it pink. Very interesting.

Dorthe said...

This is so much fun, dearest Dawn!
You acchieved such lovely tones, and the avocado, also gave the cheece cloth and canvas the most beautiful soft pinh shade!
I have tried using 5 shells, but all turned almost yellow boownish!! and not at all pinkish :-( I don`t understand why, but some of the shells were totally dried, and that might be the reason !!!
But I will try again,too-
I wish you more happy and fun hours trying other fruits and teas, aswell sweetie.
Sending you love and hugs, from a warm but grey evening far away in Denmark!! Your Dorthe

Dorthe said...

Sorry for all the misspellings , I saw it too late !!
Love,-Dorthe

The Painted Nest said...

Dawn!!
You are having WAY to much FUN!! I'm a jelly!! BEAUTIFUL!!!
Hugs, Deb

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

These look awesome Dawn! I never would have thought of an avacado to give off a pink tint! Have fun!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Unknown said...

Have a look at:

http://astridsartisticefforts.blogspot.co.uk/

She does great things with all sorts of medium.

Becky P. said...

Just love all the colors,Dawn! I especially loved the blush! Thank you, so much for sharing it with all of us! I almost felt like I was there with you:) xoxo

Rustique Gal said...

Dawn, I love your experiments. I've been saving avocado shells for some time, gotta try it!
I have died some tags with blueberry sauce, and they turned a grungy, ever so slightly blue color. I should have used white tags, the manilla ones came out less purple, more blueish than I hoped. White tags spattered with red walnut ink were good, though!
Keep on playing!
Hugs,
Sherry

Jean Bee said...

Hi Dawn, Here's how I dye my seam binding to make it look old and crinkled. Put the seam binding in your dye (I use walnut crystals but coffee/tea works). Take it out and roll it up in a tight ball in your palms - some of the dye will come out. Once it's in a small tight ball lay the ball on paper or an old towel. Once it's dry unroll it and it it will be full of crinkles and variations of the dark dye. If it's "too much" just moisten and the wrinkles will come out. I keep jars full of pre dyed pieces so it's always ready to go. I have about 40 rolls but am going to order more - love this stuff!!


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...