Thursday, April 17, 2008

Inspiration & art ~

I stopped by the library the other day and thought I'd browse around and see what books that they had in the handmade/craft/hobby section. I found a couple of wonderful books! They may not be newly published but they were definitely new to me.

Isn't it wonderful to look at a book or magazine and see all the inspiration and ideas tucked away inside? These ideas start the wheels turning in my head. I begin to think of variations of the idea and then one thought can lead to a totally new and exciting idea! Visual inspiration has always been very important to me. I have many idea books that I have compiled from pages of different magazines over the years. My taste may change every so slightly but basically these visuals always spark creativity in me. Books are the same way, and I have a TON of them!

This particular book is written by Charlotte Lyons (her blog is House Wren Studio). It has some really neat projects inside and gives me tons of new ideas....







I love fairies and was immediately drawn to this book! Precious fairy homes, furniture, muscial instruments and even little boots created from natural materials ~ all for fairies!!






And I finished the wooden tray artwork tonight! I've featured little sparrows in the opening of the vintage photo album page. It's hanging from springs from an antique play pen! Of course I had to add a nest, speckled eggs (thank you Vikki!), feathers and a few twigs. I thought it might be a drawer but my husband said it was a desk tray for letters . . . Noah really liked it so maybe that's a good sign!





Wishing you a wonderful, relaxing Friday ~ xxoo, Dawn


21 comments:

Robin said...

This is absolutely beautiful! So much inspiration here on your blog!

Anonymous said...

I love your bird assemblage! I really like your style and enjoy reading your blog.

Pocket Full of Prettys said...

Love the books you got at the library. I have alot of inspiration books too. In fact I just purchased a new book, I'll try to post it tomorrow sometime. But it is called "Vintage Collage-Works, Artful Ideas with Antique Ephemera" It is beautiful. So many wonderful ideas. The book is by Maryjo& Sunny Koch. Enjoy the books!

Alison Gibbs said...

Dawn what wonderful and inspirational books from the library
Love your latest creation
Alison

Unknown said...

Thanks for the wonderful book recommendations! I love your latest work!

Sandyxox

Anonymous said...

Dawn you are so creative. I just love stopping by your blog to see what you have made. This newest creation is just beautiful. Hope you will be adding it to your etsy shop.
Have a great one, Janie

charlotte said...

thanks so much, Dawn! wonderful seeing my book so enjoyed and loved from its life at the library...so happy it still inspires! Charlotte

Anonymous said...

Hey,
As always I love your newest creation. You have to let me know on much you are putting on it. I have added that book to my must have book list.
Love ya
Sharon F.

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

The tray is amazing - I really love this one - again. (I love all your work, but this one speaks to me!)
I have a great little fairy book that I will scan and put some images up in the next few days - maybe you can use one or two if you haven't seen them already - love the Charlotte Lyons book! I must find that one now - you are SUCH an enabler!
Colleen

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

The tray is amazing - I really love this one - again. (I love all your work, but this one speaks to me!)
I have a great little fairy book that I will scan and put some images up in the next few days - maybe you can use one or two if you haven't seen them already - love the Charlotte Lyons book! I must find that one now - you are SUCH an enabler!
Colleen

Charmingdesigns said...

Just beautiful!Laurie

Aleta said...

Oh, that box turned out to be spectacular!!! Love it!!

Warmest bear hugs, Aleta

Vee said...

The Library...must go. Sounds like perfectly restful way to spend a Saturday afternoon away from the house and other distractions.

Have a great weekend, Dawn!

BailiwickStudio said...

I have Charlotte's book and I love it! It's full of wonderful ideas - I know you'll enjoy it. Oh, and your tray is gorgeous! ::Jill

vikki said...

how beautiful!! you do such great work! Noah has a good eye... just like his mom! it is so fun to take ordinary items and make them into works of art. you are soooo talented and creative. always encouraging and inspiring to see what you will create next, m'dear friend. hope u r feeling better! have a wonderful week*end! with blessings and love, vikki =)

Sandy said...

Dawn,
The tray/drawer turned out fabulous!!! Thanks for the heads up on the books, I am going to try and find the fairy book. I am working on a little fairy garden in one of those half barrel planters and this would be perfect inspiration! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Sandy said...

P.S. If you get a chance, hop over to my blog and find the little hidden birdie, it's for you!

blessings said...

Oh that fairy book looks divine! And your project is lovely. Blessings... Polly

Sarah said...

Happy Friday to you. Your new books look full of inspiration!
Sarah
http://vintagelily.typepad.com/my_weblog/

lori said...

what a beautiful piece, so creative!!love it!!

thanks for sharing with us!

have a wonderful weekend!!

Maebelle Park said...

ooohhhh! I love this...you are amazingly talented....but I think you already know that!!!!I love the springs...sooooo cool!


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...