Monday, July 16, 2007

Our hands ~

Hand Study by Leonardo da Vinci


Have you ever stopped and thought about how wonderful our hands are? They serve us all of our lives, with not much of a thank you. Maybe a little lotion or manicure sometimes but how amazing are these two hands that God has given us.


As I get older, I look down at them and I think to myself, "those are my mother's hands!" Do you do that? As a child, I can remember riding in the back seat of our station wagon and I was up on the edge of the seat (before seat belts) and my mom always rode with her arm across the back of the seat. I would hold her hand and study it. Look at the veins, her fingernails and how the skin looked. I could push it around and it would stay there for just a moment. I've always loved her hands.


Well, my hands have become my mother's and that's OK. I've even noticed my thumbs are starting to pull around under my hand just like my mom's. That can't be good. But I use them so much. Most of you do, too. From the moment you rise in the morning until the minute you lay your head down, your hands are busy cleaning, sewing, crafting, gluing, painting, creating, vacuuming, washing, wiping, bathing, writing and whatever else you need them to do.



I am so thankful for my hands.


12 comments:

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

Dawn, this is so true. It is good to be thankful. Nita

Judy said...

I was going to a wedding Saturday and my hands...that of a 60 year old...nails split and cracked, stained with dye from aging fabric, forever dirt in the cracks from pulling weeds. I just knew I was going to smell of "bleach" and "White Shoulders"....I love my hands and are grateful for them...thanks for reminding me to take better care.

Anonymous said...

Oh my poor hands! Often I feel so sorry for the abuse I put them through. I'm always using lotion trying to make up for that abuse. I wonder how woman are able to have such nice manicures....within an hour mine are a mess. I also love my hands..I owe them much. Without the use of them I'd not have my occupation..I'm a sign language interpreter.

Oh Dawn I was just looking at your shop pictures. That little house is just packed full with creativity!
Best,
Kathy

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Sweet post, Dawn! When I think of all the wonderful, amazing things my mom and grandmother made with their hands (oil paintings, clothes, blankets, and my grandmother even used to crochet doilies with those teensy-weensy crochet hooks), I think I still have "baby hands" as I haven't produced that many lovely things yet. They don't LOOK like baby hands, though! heehee

Thank you for your dear compliment on my recent post! =)

Dixie Redmond said...

What a good thing to think about, Dawn. I've definitely been more appreciative of my body in general and all it has brought me through.

Dixie

FrostingsNSparkles said...

So true, Dawn!! Wonderful drawings too, are they yours? Fabulous use of value!!!

Lori said...

i can still feel in my heart the best thing that my hands ever did, holding my sweet babies...

Terri said...

Funny you should talk about hands. Now that I am over fifty I too have given this alot of thought. I have started taking pics of the hands that mean something to me and have helped me in my life. I hope to have it printed into a book for me and those I love. Nice to see someone on the same page. I love how you discribed your Mother! Terri

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post. I'm afraid that I skipped right over my mother's hands and went straight to my grandmother's hands! (Hollyhocks)

Amy said...

A super post! I think hands tell so much about a person. Delicate , perfect hands are great to gaze at in a painting...but I like to see real working type hands on a person. It tells that they have many interesting, creative,hard working days within their life!
Amy

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

what a beautiful post :)

Heather

Anonymous said...

I've never heard this song performed but just love the words - it's called My Sister's Hands

My sister's hands are fair and white; my sister's hands are dark
My sister's hands are touched with age, or by the years unmarked
And often when I pray for stength to live as He commands
The Father sends me sustenance in my sister's hands.
My sister's hands are lined and worn with burdens of their own
And yet I know that should I mourn, I need not weep alone
For often as I seek His grace to lighten life's demands
The Father sends me solace borne in my sister's hands.
My sister's hands: compassion's tools that each my own their art
Witnesses of charity within the human heart
Bearers of the Savior's love and mercy unto man
I have felt the Master's touch in my sister's hands.
This is by Sally DeFord - just love the lyrics!

Jill


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...