Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A free tutorial for you!
How to Create an Envelope Lavender Sachet ~


I've only made a few of these little goodies
but thought you would LOVE
making a some of these lavender sachets yourself!
I searched online for a pattern for a paper envelope
that I could add a bit of a seam allowance so I could
create a little envelope out of fabric!





Here's the pattern...and I've added a 1/4" seam allowance ~
The image below needs to fill an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper,
just so you know! Click it a few times to save it to your
computer so you will save it as large as I've given it.





Cut your pattern out and place it on two layers of canvas
or muslin or whatever fabric
to use for your envelope fabric!





Be sure to leave an opening so you can turn the envelope right side out!





I sewed it up with a mere 1/4" seam allowance ~






Be sure to clip any corners off so when it's turned right side out,
you won't have any bulk to deal with ~





I tried to take a photo of me leaving the opening for turning...but you can
hardly see the stitching! But be sure to leave this opening ~




Yes, I had to share a pic of the turning process,
and YES it looks like a terrible blob!!




Be patient as you turn the envelope right side out,
It's looks junky and terrible at first ~




But, I always use an old chop stick as they are PERFECT
for helping turn things right side out and poking out corners and such!




As soon as you get all the corners poked out perfectly,
simply get your iron hot and press it all flat as a flitter!






When you have your envelope all pressed out,
take it back to the sewing machine and simply
sew a finishing stitch all around the edge...
a mere 1/8th of an inch from the edge
to finish off your envelope.




You should be able to fold it right into an envelope!
Press it when you do....




Now to measure for the simple muslin square pouch
that will hold the lavender buds inside.





Cut your tiny muslin square 4 3/4" x 3 3/4"....two thicknesses thick.... 




Sew three sides with a 1/4" inch seam allowance and turn the little square
right side out and press....now fill with wonderful lavender buds!!!
You can find these on ebay, don't buy the fancy blue ones,
these are fragrant, not so blue but perfect for sachets!





After filling your teeny pillow simply sew the end up...it doesn't even
matter if it's right side out at all because this sweet thing
will be sandwiched up inside the fabric envelope!









Now, just hand sew the two sides to one another...



Now, sew the bottom flap and the top flap together ~




Add a gorgeous old button to the top flap,
sewing it in place.
Knotting it all underneath so
no one can see.






You can even add the face of a wonderful vintage watch!
Using a very skinny needle, sew it on, feeding the needle up
through the opening of the button and watch face,
then feeding the needle and thread through a very old
teeny, tiny pearl from an old necklace and then sew back down
through the watch face, button and knot it off.





Sew on a beautiful seam binding bow bundle....
And here's the little video I made about making those!
DON'T LAUGH, ok?







and guess what??
You are finished!!!




These would make the most wonderful gifts!!!
I so hope you loved the tutorial and that it's easy to understand ~

Wishing you a wonderful Tuesday my sweet, sweet friends,
hugs and love,
Dawn




21 comments:

Barbara Jean said...

Wonderful tutorial Dawn.

You are gifted in so so many ways, and so very generous to us in all you share.

Have a blessed week.

Barb

Dorthe said...

THANKYOU, my dear Dawn,
a beautiful tutorial, and a wonderful pattern, I would never have thought of making it like that, you are so clever, dearest! And your results are alwayes the most lovely art pieces!
Another gift in this post ,was to hear your voice, while showing us the making of your wonderful bows! That was almost like being with you in your fantastic studio, and you sounds so sweet , just like I knew you would!!!
Thankyou lovely friend-
Hugs and love ,
Dorthe

Bente said...

Oh my, this is beautiful. Great tutorial.

Have a nice day

suziqu's thread works said...

Dear Dawn,
Thank you for being so kind hearted in sharing this tutorial with us as well as the video about the seam binding bows!
You are so appreciated!
Sending love and hugs,
Suzy

Sandy said...

Dawn,

What a beautiful tutorial! I could almost smell the fragrance of the lavender. I hope you are enjoying some wonderful spring days in your corner!

Karen B. said...

Sweet Dawn,
Wow, that is such a neat tutorial!Thank you so much !! I will have to try this out as soon as I have a spare moment. LOVE IT!!!!
Much love and many hugs,
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Thank you, Dawn! And yes, you made it very easy to understand. : ) I will have to give this a try. I have some extra drop cloth fabric and pieces of Osnaberg I could use for the sachet itself.

quilty stitches said...

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful tutorial. I love envelopes for tucking away any number of things. Very excited to make one!!

Lynn Roberts said...

Sweet Dawn,
You are always so very generous with your tutorials. Thank you for sharing another great project. I start my mornings with your wonderful blog!
Hugs Lynn

Unknown said...

Oh this is fabulous! I think I am going to have to make some. I will probably not sew it closed, actually make a button hole so the lavender can be changed. The bow is the perfect touch thanks so much for sharing.

I had to pin this!
Hugs
The Glitter Tart

Maggie said...

Love it! (I'll have to try one and use my new seam binding WIN on it!!)

Robin said...

Hi Dawn, thanks so much for your wonderful tutorial! Have a great week.

Hugs,
Robin

Vee said...

Thank you! I want to try it!

marda said...

A great tutorial.. thanks so much for sharing your creativity with us.. especially those of us who don't have your creative genius!

Createology said...

Dawn Dear thank you sew very much for sharing your wonderful tutorial on how to make an envelope lavender sachet. Simply Divine. Gifts for all occasions and handy to have in the gift cupboard. Happy Hearts are Creative Hearts...

Sherry at The Rusty Pearl said...

I am on it sister.. LOVE LOVE LOVE did I say LOVE this .. thank you x 10101010101010

Luvcreatincards said...

Hi Dearest Dawn,
What a lovely tutorial and darling video to explain the seam binding ruffles. You are so kind to share this tutorial with us along with your wonderful inspiration too.
Warmest best wishes,
Su
-x-

Tora´s Vintage Dream said...

Hello again it´s been so long since I was here the last time :( but I did not forget you or your beautiful blog :) I just have been rather "down" LOL but am looking "up" now so I´m sure I´ll visit more often - like I used to do. Lucky me to open this up now and see this sweet tutorial you share with us. Thank you very much I´m really going to make at least one like this <3

Mosaic Magpie said...

Tomorrow is my friend's birthday. Thank you for the great tutorial, I am off to make her one!
Deb

auntiejenni said...

a perfectly perfect tutorial for a perfectly perfect gift idea. thank you for your generosity in sharing this with me. thank you, thank you, thank you.

The Rustic Victorian said...

Hey Miz Dawn,
Thank you, this is a sweet tutorial, and I love hearing your relaxing voice again. I was talking to Debra yesterday and she said you did a video...so I had to come find it. Well dang done girl! Do some more videos, your a natural! I am returning to my life again, feeling creative, you are very inspirational. All is well, as it should be. God is Good.
Blessings in your day!
Marcie


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...