Sunday, October 30, 2011

Fresh Apple Cake ~



Worth repeating!!

A sweet reader commented on this post today....from way back in 2007, November 4th to be exact! I had to repost it because it is a wonderful recipe handed down to me from a precious family friend that is no longer with us. But just tasting this yummy cake takes me back to a sweet time when she and her sister were in our lives:
(feel free to link to it too!!)









I thought it was time to share a recipe with you that is one of our family favorites. This cake is perfect for the holidays, it just tastes "special". Perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas, you'll just love this one!

Fresh Apple Cake
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. soda
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 1 cup pecans, chopped
  • 1 cup finely chopped apples
  • 3 cups plain all-purpose flour
Stir together the sugar, eggs and oil in a large bowl. Add orange juice. Sift dry ingredients together and stir to mixture. Stir in apples, coconut and nuts. Bake at 325 degrees in a greased, floured tube pan for 1 hour or so (check after an hour with toothpick to come out clean.)
Now, do you really want to go over the edge??

Glaze
  • Melt one stick of margarine in a pot
  • Add 1 cup of sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup of buttermilk
Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Pour over the apple cake after it is baked and while it is still in the tube pan. Let stand one hour then turn cake out. ENJOY!!
PS: This is a wonderful cake to bake in the small foil loaf pans with the plastic lids. Place loaf pans on a cookie sheet (minus the plastic lid of course), fill each pan about 2/3 of the way full with batter and cook probably half the time. You'll have to watch them because they will bake much faster. But they are great little gifts that you can give at Christmas!


PS.....should you make this, I would LOVE to know what you think!!!! :)


Have a beautiful Sunday precious friends,
hugs and love,
Dawn





8 comments:

Shirley Hatfield said...

Thank you for the recipe, Dawn. I hope to try it out this week. Have a lovely day.

Anonymous said...

Dawn, it looks like a lot of us were baking today!

Hugs, Diane :-)

NanaDiana said...

Well, Dawn, I don't know how I missed your blog before but I did. I have discovered 3 new blogs today by hopping from one place to the next. Your blog is wonderful and I am signing up as your newest follower!

This apple cake sounds sinful...er..I mean delicious so I have copied it to my recipe files. Hugs- Diana

aimee said...

cant wait to try this recipe! the picture of you on your side bar is beautiful :)
blessings,
aimee

bettyann said...

sounds yummy Dawn will have to try it.

Vee said...

It sounds unique and delicious and almost healthy!

Robyn of Robyns Nest said...

It sounds verynice, what weight is one stick of margarine? I'm in Australia & our margarine comes in plastic tubs not sticks

GigiBeth said...

This is the very best cake ever! I make one every fall with fresh apples.


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...