Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A slight shift ~


As the sun was setting Tuesday evening, there was something
just a little bit different about the sky.

It's the difference that happens each and every year that I so love ~

A cool front had moved into Georgia
so the sky was that beautiful, crisp blue...
do you know the color I'm talking about?

There seemed to be more shadows from the magnolia trees
as I looked out the window
and for one brief second,
I felt as though I'd just had a glimpse of fall!!!


My little nature journal is getting quite FAT!
I've cut away pages to allow for the bulk of what I'm adding
but will still need to do away with more as I go ~

I have to tell you, this project has been quite therapeutic!
It's so relaxing adding the elements to each page.
As you can see, my layout is very simple
and that's how I want it to be.



I've crushed speckled egg shells ~


Added a blue jay feather I found outside ~


It's nothing fancy, just simple pages with spaces to write thoughts or nature poems you love ~






I'm also adding more of my pressed flowers here and there ~



My desk is a complete mess but who cares?
And can you see below how thick the little book is??
I'll be pruning more pages as I go to allow for the thickness of what I'm adding.
I'd even thought of cutting away a space in the remaining pages and
placing a nest inside...but haven't quite decided about that yet.

I wanted to show you how big my Liquitex matte gel medium jug is.
See the black Solo cup next to it?
I buy this 32 oz cont. at Dick Blick.com and with shipping it's about 23 bucks
and lasts me a really LONG TIME!
A teeny tiny container of it at Michael's is 12.99 the last time I checked.
And yes, I've used coupons but it's still about 8.00 for approx. a fourth of this jug!
And it lasts too, no drying up at all.








I have GOT share something wonderful with you!!
Now that I'm getting my dental issue solved (today I get my temp. bridge,YAAAY!)
I've decided to go to the Country Living Fair this October!!!!
I just bought my ticket....



My sweet friend Karin of One Perfect Little Miracle and I are going to attend
the fair together on Saturday, Oct. 22 to see all that we can see!

What's so neat is that one of my dealers from when I owned the little antiques store
The Plum Tree, The Tattered Cat, will be selling there too ~ I can't wait to see Deborah....
her blog is Confessions of a Junkyard Cat, and this girl has AMAZING taste!





I hope you're doing so good and having a great week ~
Please know how I love that you stop by to see what I'm up to!!
Have a great Wednesday precious friends,
hugs and love,
Dawn









13 comments:

Kathy said...

I enjoy your blog so much! I seldom take the time to comment but thank you so much for faithfully posting wonderful things

Dorthe said...

Dearest Dawn,
your book is getting more beautiful every day, there is so many wonderful images inside, and the feathers and flowers- and egg shells looks so fantastic in there.I can see it is getting more,and more fat every day sweet friend-a little nest would be the most gorgeus add, sweetheart.
Love and hugs from Dorthe

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It's funny, Dawn, but I had similar thoughts yesterday evening as well! I remember noticing how the sun looked out the back windows about 6:00 and that Fall was giving us a quick glimpse. We did have a couple of cooler days this week, but I heard the humidity is due back. Oh well, I was happy enough for the glimpse!

Shari Valicenti said...

Glad to hear the "dental journey" is nearing the end at last....good for you!
The journal looks wonderful.....love the quail eggs and love the notation beside it, great work!

Rhonda said...

Mess or not, that book is genius! Large spaces to add more creativeness or writings, perfection.

My favorite part are the birds on the branch, so precious.

Anonymous said...

you are simply amazing. I'll confess, when I first saw the book, I couldn't figure out how you would make a treasure out of it. It is divine. Dawn, often, when I go to the thrift stores, I think of you..."now what would Dawn buy". I wish I could take you shopping with me, here on Long Island, we have over 100 of them, plus estate sales, oh the fun we would have. I'll keep you in my heart when I go shopping.
xoxo,
Lana

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

Hey Lady ~ How I missed you while I was in Georgia, almost 3 weeks, but the time went so quickly, this is the first day I have been able to just sit at the computer & catch up! The weather was great while I was there, Hot like it is here, but Your Humdity is Nothing compared to here... I had been meaning to ask you a few things & to my surprise, you talked about both! I was going to ask you about the Large Gel Medium you posted about before & the Country Living Fair.... Should I think Magic~ I was thinking of coming down again in October for the fair, Do you need to Per Purchase the Tickets???? I won't know if I can swing things till later in September, but I so want to go~ Jen & I would have a blast & I think it is only about 45 minutes from her... Then we could meet up again ~ let me know about the ticket sales, and thanks for posting about the Gel Medium, You read My Mind! Miss Ya, xox
Cheryl

June said...

Yes Dawn, I do know the light you are talking about. I love how when evening starts, how that different slant of light illuminates everything and you just see it in a different way. I wish I could bottle it.
Your nature journal is so lovely. I imagine it is soothing to the soul to work on it. Full of beautiful treasures that only nature can give us.
I was so sorry to hear about your dental issues. I have a similar bridge in front that I had to have after I had braces when I was eighteen. I had a tooth that never came in, and I had to have a bridge to put into fill the space. I always smiled without opening my mouth too. It took awhile to make myself change.
sending hugs...

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dawn, how beautiful this is!
Hugs, Diane

Romeo said...

OMGOSH - I stopped by to see what you were up to and you talked about "her" and ME!?!!! You are always the sweetest :) Thank you so much - now you HAVE to stop by and see me :) Must give you long overdue hugs!!!!

Now onto what I was originally going to comment on before I fell off my chair because of your kindness.... I am loving your nature journal!!! This is a great idea and I often incorporate nature into my art journal and all over "my" rooms. I love how you smooshed up the egg so that you could include even that! I have found tiny chips of robin's eggs and saved them but never knew what to do with them - I have been enlightened!

And thank you so much for the link to the gel - this will be a real money saver! The link to the bias tape is also a real money saver! You are so generous with your shout outs on products (and cats who own people) gotta love you :)

Thanks so much Dawn! We'll be watching for you....

Purrs and Hugs,

Romeo and Deborah

Lisa said...

i absolutely LOVE your nature book!

Brigitte said...

I know about this sky and the air that just feel different! Lucky you, fall is coming! I live in a NON seasons state!!!! This is the season I miss the most!
Your Nature Journal is beautiful. I started some new projects too! You inspired me!
Have a beautiful creative day!

bumble button said...

Stopped by to see what you are up to. Of course you have been making a wonderful and beautiful project! I love how your journal is coming along, it is very pretty. Louise


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...