Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The beginnings of a journal tutorial ~

I am so excited about the tutorial I'm working on now . . . you can see the beginnings of it in the photo below! It's a handmade, from scratch, nature journal ~ and the neat thing is, I'm learning too as I make it!

The nature journal that I finished a few weeks ago was created inside of the complete cover of a small music book. It was really wonderful to work with but the chances of finding another is slim to none. Soooo....I thought, why not construct one myself! And believe it or not, the method that I've used is not hard at all ~

I'm still shooting step-by-step photos of the embellishing process and hope to have it in my store, The Little Speckled Egg by tomorrow evening.

I just get the biggest thrill making things! What is that??!! The neat thing about these small journals (and I'm finding that I'm becoming more and more "green") is that they can be constructed out of simple things that are around your home.

Plus, they don't have to be "nature" journals, you could make one to take on a special vacation or trip. How about creating one to give to a sweet mom-to-be to jot down her thoughts while in the hospital having her baby and after she's met her sweet angel? It would be a treasured keepsake ~ Boy this is starting to sound like a serious sales pitch but I'm just excited about the possibilities!




A spare copy of the sheet music cover printed on thin muslin, hmmmm.....I've got to think of something neat to do with this ~ I love looking at it!! I've got it pinned to the back of the advent calendar so I can stare at it ~




On a totally different note, I've had this crazy idea and some of you may have already tried this. I've always loved this precious, chubby bluebird and I bought some molding compound at Michael's a few weeks ago. I would like to attempt to make a mold of this sweet baby and make some from plaster! Have any of you tried this? Should I use plaster of paris? Who knows, I may not be able to create a decent mold but I want to try!


Can't you see a chubby, cream colored, slightly antique-washed little bird??

Today it was absolutely GORGEOUS here in Georgia.....it's like you have to soak in each and every beautiful fall day before they all vanish ~

Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday sweet friends!

xxoo, Dawn

19 comments:

Rustic Tarts said...

Your journal looks lovely Dawn.

Thanks for entering our giveaway, of course you aren't too far away!!! And I already know your address, if you are one of the lucky recipients!

Christina

Dorthe said...

Dawn its a perfect idea, with all the possibilities its giving the maker, and your beginning looks beautifull.
Your pumkings on ETSY are so fantastic(and may i say far too low-priced , here they would cost at least the double)Oh i dont hope everyone are getting mad at me now.
Hugs from Bornholm

A Wild Thing said...

You were still up after midnight and I was up at 4 this morning...what is it with us crazy artists...do we ever sleep...just gittin all the goody out of the day I guess.

Love your tutorials and the sheet music on linen...how cool is that, genious at work!!!

Have a wonderful day friend!!!

sharon

Anonymous said...

Dawn,
Maybe you could try a kit like the ones found at castingkeepsakes.com. I'm not sure how many times you could reuse the mold, but it might be worth checking. Thanks for your beautiful artwork - it inspires those of us who are not so artistically inclined.
Monica

kathy said...

dAWN , LOVING YOUR CREATIONS --
i AM NOT SURE OF THE NAME OF THE PRODUCT -- BUT THERE IS A RUBBER TYPE CASTING MOULD MAKING PRODUCT . gOOGLE IT - TO FIND ??
SEEMS LIKE mICHAEL'S HAD IT -- saW IT YRS BACK ON A CRAFT TV PROGRAM.
cOURSE THE THINGS YOU SEE ON TV ALWAYS LOOK PERFECT .AND THEY HAVE NUMEROUS TRIES TO GET IT RIGHT LOL
sEEMS LIKE IT A TWO PART LIQUID , YOU MIX AND THEN SPREAD ON -- KINDA SCARY -DON'T WANT TO LOSE YOUR SWEET BIRDIE - fOR SOME STAMPS i LOVE -I HAVE USED THE ART CLAY . THEN WHEN HARDENED IN THE OVEN -- YOU CAN PUT FIMO ETC . IN AGAIN TO GET THE DIMENSIONAL ITEM - i DO THAT FOR SMALL EMBELLISHMENTS -- WITH WORDS -- i JUST STAMP - DRY - PAINT MAYBE ?? AND ADD STICKLES , OR THE rUB N BUFF STUFF - -IE : BLACK CLAY OR PAINTED WITH GOLD RUB ON -- ok SORRY GETTING CARRIED AWAY -- i LOVE TO MAKE SOME OF MY ELEMENTS - RATHER THAN PURCHASE
hOPE THIS HELPS - kATHY - ga

larkswing said...

Hello, just started visiting your site a couple days ago. You have some great ideas and items - very talented!

Have a good day!

Kathy said...

Hi Dawn, no pressure but as soon as your nature journal tutorial is up, I'm buying it! I don't know that I can even come close to creating something as lovely as you (gee, I envied the person who purchased the original nature journal!!) but I have some ideas for the project. Now, to find time for the sewing room/studio! ~Kathy

Sarah said...

Thank you I love it too.

Sarah said...

Hello
Thank you I love art. Well the arts. I hope you see my new poem under the picture of my hair cut on my other blog. Well thank you for being so kind.

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

HI SWEET DAWN,

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR LOVELY COMMENTS ON MY LAST POST!
IT WAS SO VERY KIND OF YOU... AND THEY WEREVERY ENCOURAGING, TOO!
I DECIDED THAT I SHOULDN`T LET THE BULLIES WIN... AND I`M BACK AT DOING WHAT I LOVE BLOGGING!
... I THINK THAT YOU AND ALL THE 92 OTHER FELLOW BLOG FRIENDS.... MAY HAVE HAD SOME INPUT ON MY DECISION. LOL!

BY THE WAY... IT AMAZES ME THAT YOU ARE ALWAYS FINDING NEW AND INTERESTING THINGS TO TRY OUT.

ITS VERY INSPIRING FOR US... TO HAVE A GO OURSELVES!
KISSES

DEBBIE MOSS

(FROM ENGLAND)

Sandy said...

The tutorial is coming along so well, love the cover!

When I saw your little bird I nearly wept. Many moons ago I was a preschool teacher, K4-5. I had a darling little girl named Andrea in the very last class I taught. She was painfully shy and I was always trying to draw her out. She hardly ever spoke. On my last day of teaching, she shyly made her way to my desk. She handed me a small gift wrapped box. I asked her if she wanted me to open it and she shook her head yes. Inside was the very bird you have pictured! I hugged her and thanked her and told her I would always treasure it. She hugged me back and whispered, "I love you Miss Sandy." That one little phrase spoke volumes. Sadly my little bird got dropped and shattered the a move to my current home. I have not thought of Andrea or her offering in many years. Thank you for the sweet memory!

Good luck with the mold!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I've not tried molds, but am experimenting with sculpy. That is a simple shape and might be easy to do.

I'll be watcing to hear how your molds turn out!

Anonymous said...

Your little bird is just so sweet looking!! Good luck on a mold of him!

Tina Leavy said...

that will be fun for you to try to recreate the little bird..it really is darling.
the journal looks good too.

Anonymous said...

Dawn, my eyes don't know where to look first! I've missed visiting because I'm immersed in paint and canvas and scanning and burning CDs for my agent - so I stop in to visit and you're 'way ahead of me! I'll have to come back in the morning to take it all in, busy lady! :-)

Diane

Unknown said...

I love journals, I collect them and hand-paint watercolor scenes inside Your posts are always a delight and this chubby bluebird is lovely. Karen

Elizabeth said...

Hi, Dawn!

Stoppin' by to see what you are up to. Wonderful things, I see!

God bless you, friend!
Elizabeth

Shopgirl said...

Thank you Dawn, I will find this gel medium. You have helped me in so many ways, and I always come daily to see what is new with you.
I love fall, Big Hugs, mary

Shopgirl said...

Your little Bird is so darn cute!!!
Hugs, mary


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...