Monday, April 7, 2008

A few things that I love ~

Having bought and sold antiques now for over ten years, I find that I'm drawn to certain things when I'm out on the hunt. They may not necessarily be a great selling item or a "hot" item but just what I love. I tend to buy what I love anyway because if it doesn't sell, oh well, welcome home!!

Prints and photographs are something that I really love to look for while antiquing. Lamps are another thing, I just love small, pretty lighting. I'll cram as many lamps in one room as I possibly can! Lace, buttons, sheet music and broken baubles and watches are a few more items.

Many of you are probably the same way. You have those certain things that appeal to you, even when you are at Target! I bought both of these beautiful framed pieces below fully intending on selling them but I love them. The little girl, her dress, her sweet smile ~ she's just precious!!

And the woman, my goodness, just look at her skin, hair and the folds of her dress. It looks as if this might have been the back to some type of publication or book but I don't care. The rips do not matter. The beauty is there, and it always makes me smile.





*********************************************

Pictured below is a sweetie. I discovered this bear Friday at the thrift store.
With such a sweet face, how could I not buy it!

Well, in the next few days I'm going to post a tutorial on my little "Altered Bears". Using this fluffy sweetheart, old lace, old buttons, vintage baby/doll clothes, old photographs of children, I'm going to transform this modern fuzzy bear into an antique-looking sweetheart. Stay tuned!

Wishing you all a very happy Monday!! xxoo, Dawn



16 comments:

Lori said...

Dawn, i am so looking forward to see what you will do with the little bear, i agree he/she {?} has the sweetest little face!

Maggie said...

Hi Dawn. You always find the best stuff on your adventures. I can see why you want to hang on to those beautiful pictures. I can get attached to things and have a hard time letting go too. You really have got me curious as to what you are going to do with that sweet little bear to make him even more adorable than he already is. Love your art!!!

Vee said...

I'll be watching with interest.

Your comment "oh well, welcome home" made me laugh aloud.

kathy said...

I truly understand -- sweet
baby and children pictures, as well as antique baby shoes and dresses appeal to me -- I am working on a vignette for my house with some items -- some , i think I even bought from you at The plum tree -- Can't wait to see the bears -- I have a collection , and most are hand made by bear artists -- some dressed in vintage clothes myself -- Their expressions get me -- one even is a bear with a dunce hat , and one an angel too too sweet -- I love your creations -- Kathy _ GA .

Sheila Rumney said...

Oh, I can't wait to see what you do with this cute bear!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Awwww - I love bears. Especially well-loved ones! The prints are pretty - isn't it wonderful that we can spot things like this and then share the beauty with others? Thank you for always doing so..
Colleen

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Awwww - I love bears. Especially well-loved ones! The prints are pretty - isn't it wonderful that we can spot things like this and then share the beauty with others? Thank you for always doing so..
Colleen

Anonymous said...

Ooooooh! I can't wait to see! I love dressed up bears. Maybe I'll send you a picture of mine. :)

Julie

Reflections from the Stone Nest said...

Dawn, I cannot wait to see what you do with that sweet little bear! You're right about the collecting. We are all drawn to certain things. Boxes is one of mine. Heather always tells me, you bought another box! Oh well, I'll find something to put in them!
LOL!

Kitty

Lady Em said...

Don't sell those prints, don't do it!! Hang them up in the house, I can tell they belong with you!!

Lavinia said...

Your blog is like a sweet dream. I adore the photo across the banner. Such cute eggs!

I'm mad about teddy bears--have them all over the house---and the bear photo on this post is so incredibly cute. What an adorable bear!

I had a nice little visit here and I'll be popping over again.

Thanks,
Regards,
Lavinia.

regina barnett said...

Love the pictures. very beautiful. I can't wait to see the bear..when you are done with him. I enjoy looking at your blog. You show alot of things that I love.

Pink Rufflez said...

I love all your treasures - most people in my life don't appreciate my 'found' treasures. I share your love of beautiful old things -rips, tears and all. Thank you for sharing - I love seeing what you find and what you do with it.

Julie said...

Once again we are thinking alike. I have a collection of newer stuffies that I want to alter with fabric, books, etc. I'm looking for a vintage -looking bunny to go in my dh's very old, very damaged top hat!

Sandy said...

The photographs are stunning in detail! I too buy what I like. I am not a trend buyer or a collector for the value of an object. I buy only what speaks to my heart, today there was a LOT of stuff speaking and it all followed me home! The flea market owner asked me if I actually used what I bought or did I save it or sell it. I said I used what I bought. I am not a saver of stuff to use "some day". I am an enjoyer of pieces of the past. I used to sell things in an antique store and had two flea market booths but haven't done that in a couple of years.

Tina Leavy said...

love the images. that's the type of thing I've started to be on the look out for now in decorating my home.
they are so pretty.


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...